Photos:100-year-old grandma breaks World Record for the 100-meter dash



A great-great grandmother and running enthusiast from New York City broke the World Record for the 100-yard dash for her age group (80 years and older).


The special moment happened at the Penn Relays in Philadelphia on Saturday, with Ida making the distance in 1:17:33 - no easy feat for someone aged 100.

'It was wonderful. It's the best exercise I know,' Ida told CBS Philadelphia.
Ida's husband died of a heart attack at the age of 42 and running soon became a refuge for her.
It felt good, and I felt uplifted,' she previously told ABC. 'I said, 'Well, gee, this is for me'.'

She trains in the corridors of her Bronx apartment block, lifts weights and cycles on an exercise bike.She also prefers to eat her evening meal - a hamburger, fish, or liver - for breakfast.'Gives me fuel for the day,' she said.

And her health regime is paying dividends - she takes just one prescription drug and could easily pass for a woman 20 years younger.

She is determined to keep running as long as possible, and to outlive her grandmother, who survived until the age of 104.

'Every year I am going to keep doing what I am doing, and when running time comes, if I feel I am ready, I will go at it,' she said.


Drop Your Comment Here


Related Posts


Previous
Next Post »